Travel writing is one of the most rewarding ways to make money online. It’s a great way to get your name out there, and it’s also a good way to build your credibility. The best part is that you can do it from home. You don’t have to be in a big city to make money as a travel writer.
Here are some tips to help you get started.
1) Find something that interests you. If you’re not interested in the topic, you won’t write about it very well. This doesn’t mean you can’t write about anything – it just means that you’ll probably struggle to come up with fresh ideas.
2) Write for yourself first. Don’t worry about how you’ll sell your articles. The first thing you need to do is write a few articles that are interesting to you. Once you’ve written a couple of articles that you like, you can start thinking about what kind of topics you want to write about.
3) Make sure you have a good idea of what you’re going to write about. If you don’t have an idea, you’ll end up having to go back and research. That’s a waste of time.
4) Keep a notebook or a journal handy. You never know when inspiration will strike.
5) Get out there and talk to people. Talk to people at coffee shops, at the grocery store, at the library, wherever. Find people who have an interest in the topic you’re writing about, and ask them questions.
6) Use your imagination. Write about what you would do if you were traveling. Write about what you would see if you were traveling. Write articles based on your own experiences.
7) Look at other travel writers’ work. If you don’t already have a portfolio, take some time to find some articles that you think are good. Then look at the titles and read the article. How does the writer express himself? Does he have a clear point? What do you think about his writing style?
8) Write articles about the things you love. If you’re passionate about something, you’ll be able to put that passion into your writing.
9) Put yourself in the shoes of the reader. What would you want to know about the topic? What would you want to read about?
10) Write articles that will make your readers want to keep reading. If you’re writing about a topic that you love, you’ll be able to come up with great ideas.
11) Take notes while you’re reading. When you’re reading, jot down notes about what you’re reading. This will help you remember what you’ve read later.
12) Create a list of questions you’d like to ask. If you’re writing about something you love, you’ll have a lot of great questions to ask.
13) Write about the places you want to visit. If you want to write about places you’ve visited, you’ll have a lot more material than if you’re writing about a place you haven’t been to yet.
14) Don’t limit yourself to writing about your own experiences. If you’ve never been to a certain place, write about it anyway.
15) Be prepared to write about controversial subjects. Travel writing can be controversial. You’ll be surprised at how many people will disagree with you.
16) Be willing to share your expertise. If you’re knowledgeable about the topic, you can offer advice to others.
17) Learn to edit your articles. You can’t write every day, but you can learn to edit your articles. Editing can improve your writing, and it can improve the quality of your articles.
18) Submit your articles to directories. There are a lot of directories available. If you submit your articles to several directories, you’ll increase your chances of getting published.
19) Write articles about your hobbies. If you enjoy writing, you can turn your hobby into a money making opportunity.
20) Join a travel writing forum. There are forums dedicated to travel writing. Joining these forums will help you learn about the industry, and it will also help you connect with other travel writers.
21) Start your own blog. If you’re a travel enthusiast, starting your own blog can be a great way to promote your writing skills.
22) Promote your articles. You can use your articles to promote your blog, your website, or even your own travel business.
23) Join an affiliate program. Affiliate programs allow you to earn commissions by promoting other people’s products. You don’t have to create your own product to make money with an affiliate program.
24) Join a freelance writing site. These sites often provide job listings for freelance writers. If you’re looking for a steady source of income, freelance writing may be right for you.